tcnj wordmark

Agreements, Rights, and Responsibilities

Annual Residence and Dining Service Contract

The Annual Residence Hall and Dining Service Agreement, signed by every resident student, is a formal contract for room and board services. It is a binding yearly contract which can only be broken under special circumstances with approval by the Department of Residential Education and Housing. One of the conditions of the agreement for on-campus residence is participation in a meal plan. Students are advised to print and keep their copy of the agreement for the duration of the academic year.

Entering Student Rooms

Article E in the Annual Residence Hall and Dining Service Contract states, “The College reserves the right to inspect student rooms and furnishings in order to maintain health, safety and maintenance standards.” This enables college personnel to implement routine maintenance requests from residents. Under special conditions a member of the residence hall staff may ask a resident to go through his or her own possessions to ascertain compliance with such standards.

Overnight Guest Agreement

Students who are assigned college housing accommodations have the privilege to invite guests to stay in their room for a maximum of three consecutive nights. Since overnight guests potentially infringe upon the rights of other’s living space, a residential host must receive written permission from his/her roommates/suitemates/floormates prior to inviting overnight guests. Any of these individuals has the right to allow or deny the invitation to a guest prior to his or her arrival. Overnight guest privileges must be agreed upon through the “Shared Living Space Agreement” and in each case specifically.

Room Changes

Within the first two to three weeks each semester, our office offers what is known as Room Change Day which allows students to swap rooms with one another or move into any posted vacancy.  Information about this process will be made available to students on our web site and through TCNJ e-mail.

Students who wish to change rooms outside of Room Change Day may do so by working with the Residential Education staff in their building.  Please note that a Shared Living Agreement or mediation may be used with students before any room changes are approved or discussed.

Students are not allowed to change rooms unless they have received approval from a professional staff member within the Department of Residential Education and Housing.

Room Damages

Each resident is expected to maintain his or her residence hall room in good condition. To document the original condition of your room, you will have the opportunity to review and sign a Data Room Inventory Card (DRIC) at the time you move into your assigned room. Please review this form carefully; when you vacate the room, this form will be used for the basis of comparison for damages at check out. At checkout, residents are responsible to formally check out at the hall office and turn in their room key. Individual residence communities will be responsible for damages incurred in the common areas of the residence halls, apartments, off campus houses and townhouses. You are responsible for ensuring the proper use of these facilities by your guests.  During all breaks, residents must sign-out at the hall office and are expected to follow appropriate sign-out procedures.

Financial charges will result when specific policies are violated. This includes $50 for removing cables on the windows in Travers-Wolfe; $25 for items left in rooms or hallways when the resident(s) are moving out of the room; $25 for cleaning a room which is left in an unsanitary manner (i.e., food left in room) at semester break and year-end; and $15 for not closing storm windows in Norsworthy and ABE during breaks. The replacement of a missing phone is $145. There is a $50 fee for having lounge or common area furniture in your room. Additional charges may apply for other items.

Room Re-assignments

As noted in the Annual Residence Hall and Dining Service Contract, when a vacancy exists in a double room, The College has the right to assign the remaining resident a new roommate or reassign the remaining resident to an existing vacancy in a comparable space elsewhere.